Petition for Review
This document is the official Petition for Review submitted by the local churches to the Texas Supreme Court as the first step in appealing to said Supreme Court—that they would review the case (Local Church, Living Stream Ministry, et al. v. Harvest House Publishers, et al.), which was previously overturned by the Texas Court of Appeals. It includes statements concerning the basic facts and concerns of the case.
Five amicus briefs were submitted in support of the Petition for Review. These briefs were submitted by:
- A group of prominent religion and social science scholars;
- Seven individuals with extensive background in publishing and broadcasting;
- Eight individuals concerned with Court of Appeals ruling’s international impact to people in countries with repressive governments;
- Hank Hanegraaff, President of Christian Research Institute; and
- Gretchen Passantino; co-founder and Director of Answers in Action.
After the Texas Supreme Court declined to review the case, an additional amicus brief written by Dr. Rodney Smolla, Dean and George Allen Professor of Law and the University of Richmond School of Law and author of the two-volume set Law of Defamation, was submitted in support of a Motion for Rehearing.