Amicus Brief from Publishers, Broadcasters, Religious Organizations (U.S. Supreme Court)
Six signers in the field of publishing, broadcasting, and religion submitted an amicus brief to the United States Supreme Court, urging the court to review the appeal of the local churches and Living Stream Ministry seeking relief from defamation in the Harvest House book Encyclopedia of Cults and New Religions co-authored by John Weldon and John Ankerberg. The brief stressed the need to balance protection of freedom of speech and of the press with the rights of religious organizations to seek protection from libel. The brief was signed by:
- Methodist Federation for Social Action;
- John Van Diest, senior editor with Tyndale House Publishers;
- J. Gordon Melton, Ph.D., Founder and Director of Institute for the Study of American Religion, Santa Barbara, California;
- Peter Kerridge, Chief Executive of Premier Media Group;
- Robert Oppedisano, Director, Fordham Press;
- Jon Yinger, President of Midwest Christian Broadcasting.