The Christian Research Institute (CRI) has published a series of videos that discusses their research into the ministry of Watchman Nee, Witness Lee, and the local churches. You can view them either on the CRI site or on YouTube.
Speakers: Hank Hanegraaff, Elliot Miller, and Gretchen Passantino
Conclusions from Six-year Primary Research Project by CRI and AIA
- Part 1 – On hearing “stirring affirmations” of the faith from representatives of Living Stream Ministry and the local churches
- Part 2 – On seeing “authentic New Testament Christianity” in action in his visits to local churches in various parts of the world
- Part 3 – Concluding that the teaching of Witness Lee and the local churches is “well within Christian orthodoxy.”
The Importance of Proper Research and Apologetics Methods
Including information on how critics have misrepresented Witness Lee’s teachings.
- Part 1 – Doing discernment ministry properly and the consequences of statements made in error.
- Part 2 – The importance of context in understanding others’ teachings.
- Part 3 – The countercult community’s error in rejecting Dr. J. Gordon Melton’s Open Letter.
- Part 4 – The importance of dialogue and how dialogue led Elliot Miller to reassess the local churches.
- Part 5 – How dialogue changed Elliot Miller’s view of the local churches.
Experiences Visiting Local Churches in China
Part 1 – Meeting believers who suffered persecution because of the writings of apologetics ministries in the West.
Practices of the Local Churches
Correcting the Shortcomings of “An Open Letter”
- Part 1 – How the “open letter” signers got it wrong.
- Part 2 – Witness Lee and the local churches “are bringing a correction to a problem within Western evangelicalism” concerning the Trinity
- Part 3 – Witness Lee’s teaching of deification is actual a biblical view.
- Part 4 – What the Apostle Peter and Athanasius say about deification.
- Part 5 – The teaching of Watchman Nee and Witness Lee concerning the proper standing of a local church.
The complete playlist:
Note that the playlist does not include the three videos CRI posted of Hank Hanegraaff speaking on the radio and in public appearances.